Big Valley was incorporated as a Village in 1914. Located in the County of Stettler #6, it is a spirited community of 364 people. Today, Big Valley is in the heart of mixed farming, grain farming, cattle ranching & tourism. Its economy is also tied to the large oilfield and related industries surrounding the community. We are very proud of our community’s workers and volunteers. Many hours are spent on beautification and heritage restoration programs which make our Village both historically and aesthetically pleasing. We maintain a high level of service to our residents year-round.
- Water Supply – Big Valley’s water supply is from the Shirley McClellan Regional Water line. The reservoir capacity, measured in treated substance, is 463 cubic metres.
- Waste Management – Sewage treatment is provided by lagoons consisting of four short and two long detention ponds.
- Garbage – Industrial, commercial and residential garbage is collected weekly.
- Electricity – Contact ATCO Electrical, 5001 – 47 Street, Stettler, AB, T0C 2L0 at 1-403-292-1500, 1-844-687-2826, Emergency: 1-800-511-3447, for more information.
- Natural Gas – Contact ATCO Gas, 205 Arena Avenue, Trochu, AB, T0M 2C0, at (403) 442-3933, for more information.
- Telephone – Contact Telus, 4821 – 51 Street, Red Deer, AB, T4N 2A6 at 1-800-223-0300, for more information.
- Water: $25/month flat fee plus $2.70/m3
- Sewer: $20/month
- Garbage: $8.50/month
The municipal taxation year runs from January 1st to December 31st and are payable by June 30th of each year.
Village Council & Staff
Mayor: Daniel Alan Houle
Deputy Mayor: Amber Dawn Hoogenberg
Councillor: Gail Knudson
Chief Administrative Officer: Elaine Macdonald
Public Works Foreman: Amanda Valente
Administrative Assistant: Skyla Attfield
All Municipal Bylaws are available at the Village Office.
Water, Sewer & Garbage
- Fees and Charges Bylaw 865
- Emergency Management Bylaw 845
- Traffic Bylaw 837
- Code of Conduct 828
- Nuisance Abatement 827
- Fire Department 818
- Bylaw Enforcement 781
- Curfew Bylaw 749
- Noise Bylaw 746
- Establish Committees and Board of Council 858
- Procedural Bylaw 861
- Cemetery Bylaw 859
- Advertising Bylaw 862